Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cat Quilt Nears Completion




A final look at Camie's Cat Quilt. This is a quilt of 12 cat blocks, representing each month. My favorite kitty to quilt was the October cat (my birthday month). Click on each picture to see a close-up of the detail. Quilting tip: Top thread is Presencia 50/3 cotton (black); bobbin thread is Aurifil 50/2 cotton (cream--I used this exclusively in the bobbin to match the muslin backing). The cat looks and feels like he has real fur. I put a clamshell background behind the cat using Aurifil 50/2 (gray). Finally I used Sew Art nylon monofilament thread (smoke) to stitch-in-the-ditch between the patchwork below. All my anchor quilting, which is the first step in securing the rows of quilt blocks, was completed using mostly nylon thread in the top. With cream thread in the bobbin I was able to deal with thread pop-ups to the top of the quilt by using a very fine point black pen (Pigma Micron .005) to do touch-ups. This is what many award-winning quilters do and it works!



Copyright 2008, Sharon Baggs

No comments:

Post a Comment