Thursday, April 7, 2011

Handquilting the Doll Quilt

First of all, Happy Birthday to my little doll, who is 13 today! My quilting journey started when someone left an anonymous gift of a Moses basket on our porch with a little quilt inside it for her. I thought, "hmm, I'd like to learn how to quilt someday..." Now, 13 years later, we've both made many quilts and enjoy it together. That person probably has no idea the legacy that was started with that little pink quilt. We're so thankful!


Everytime I do any handquilting, and it isn't very often, I need to re-educate myself on the process. It takes a little bit of practice to get back in the swing of inserting the needle, rocking it back up through the layers, and making a nice row of stitches.


The goal isn't to get 12-14 stitches to the inch but to focus on consistent size and spacing of the stitches. Click on the photo for a closer look.


So far, I've stitched 13 of 17 horizontal lines through the light squares of each block and through the setting squares. I'll finish off with a few vertical lines and then put on the binding.


Copyright ©2011, Sharon Baggs


No comments:

Post a Comment