Monday, April 16, 2012

Baby, we're ready to quilt!

Baby quilt #1 is pin-basted and ready for Bernina's golden touch. I'm using Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 for the batting. It's 80% cotton with 20% polyester, which makes it soft yet durable. A perfect choice for baby quilts because they do endure a lot of use. That's another reason I quilt baby quilts more heavily. Rather than quilt an all-over design across the top, I like to begin with stitching-in-the ditch and make sure the seams are quilted in. Then I apply some free-form quilting to the open areas. I'm so excited to get started!


For the thread, I chose Superior Thread's King Tut 40 wt./3 ply extra long staple cotton (www.superiorthreads.com). I love the variegated colors with a 1-inch color change. For the top thread I'm using color #956--Angel Pink and for the bobbin thread #940 ELS Cotton Candy. The top thread is lighter and will work best for stitching-in-the-ditch. When I get to quilting the open areas, I'll probably use the same cotton candy color thread for both top and bobbin. The pinks and lavenders will look great on this flannel backing fabric from Timeless Treasures.


I'm hoping to get a lot of quilting done this week. Hannah just got cast as a dwarf in Snow White with Christian Youth Theater (www.cytvanport.com) and I know I'll be busy helping out on the costume committee by this time next week.

Copyright©2012, Sharon Baggs

No comments:

Post a Comment