Friday, March 28, 2008

My First Quilt

Here it is . . . the famous one, the famous one. My very first quilt: "Checkerboard Chain" made during a 4-week beginner's quilt class. The color scheme is strikingly ordinary but the gold inner border helped the quilt "pop" and not fizzle into ho-hum. As I approached quilting, I grabbed at anything I could find to use, whether it fit the quilting space or not. Desperate without a darning foot, I used my walking foot and turned that baby all the way through. How I quilted it: stitch-in-the-ditch around the gold border, a stencil design for the 4-patch areas (blue thread), and a pre-printed stitch-and-tear cable design on the cream border (gold thread). There are lots of unquilted open spaces but I love looking at it and seeing how much I've learned to do since then.


Copyright 2008, Sharon Baggs

No comments:

Post a Comment