Monday, April 1, 2013

Boston Commons Quilt--Revisited


After a week of determination and effort, the Boston Commons Quilt is finished! It was a project my friend, Felicia and I began two years ago. See the original post here.

Felicia did much of the stitching-in-the ditch of the center design. With the wool batting, the squares puff up nicely. I chose a simple cable design for the pink inner border and quilted a free form swirl design in the dark outer border.


I began with stitching-in-the-ditch along either side of the pink strip. Since the pink inner border is a focal point where the eye is visually drawn, I like to quilt a simple motif in this space. Also, there is some lift with wool batting, so a quilted design shows off the quilting. The cable template used here is designed by Harriet Hargrave (HH20- 1-1/4" 3cm Simple Cable). I used a washable blue marker to mark the design and removed the marks after quilting by dipping the border in water and wiping with a cloth. I used a walking foot to quilt the cable but it could be free-motion quilted as well.



The binding on the quilt was the same fabric as the backing. I cut 2-1/2" wide strips and pieced them together on the diagonal. Here's a view of the four corners completed.


To touch up some white spots on the fabric where the dye lifted, I colored those in with a blue Zig permanent marker, acid free, used for scrapbooking.


I'm thrilled to be able to give this completed quilt to my friend and get to the next quilt in my "to-be-finished" pile.

 
Copyright ©2013, Sharon Baggs

No comments:

Post a Comment